Thursday, August 30, 2012

Food Network Monthly Cookalong: A few quick sandwich ideas

So sometimes sandwiches are a more thought out process but sometimes they are so quick and simple and thrown together that I don't really write down a recipe. Here are a couple of quick examples of that.

Earlier this week I made a quick spaghetti sauce of onions, peppers, Field Roast Italian sausage, lots of garlic and kale. It was super tasty on our whole wheat pasta and luckily we had enough left over for lunches the next day. When I went to heat it up, I decided to try something a little different. I toasted a sub bun, schmeared it with garlic butter and stuffed it full of the heated up leftover spaghetti...noodles and all! It was soooo good! I will admit that when I was a teenager I used to bake fresh buns and then poke a hole in the side and stuff it with spaghetti kinda like a pizza pocket so the idea isn't totally new to me but it was sooo good I decided to share my guilty pleasure of carb on carb action. Plus the sauce was extra flavourful the next day like sauces tend to do.






The next one I can't take credit for at all. Ryan came up with this concept all on his own. We had some leftover Caesar salad dressing, croutons and tempeh bacon (using the recipe from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day!) from the night before. Then at lunchtime the next day, I was mixing the salad up again and Ryan was making a chick'n burger (using the No Cluck Cutlets from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day!) and then there was a little sparkle in his eye when he decided to combine the two and make a Chick'n Caesar Salad Burger! I have to say I was impressed with this combo, it was super tasty and he was nice enough to share some with me. 



Another great quick recipe I made with the No Cluck Cutlets was just the other night. I couldn't decide what to make for supper and it was getting late. Thanks to an episode of Eat Street I had watched late the night before, I was craving something with Greek flavours. I took two freshly made No Cluck Cutlets, sliced them and tossed them in lemon juice, lots of freshly minced garlic (like 1/2 a head), oregano, paprika and salt and pepper. Then I put it on the center griddle on my stove with some olive oil and got it nicely browned on the outside. While it was browning, I mixed up a quick tzatziki type sauce by mixing equal parts Vegenaise with plain So Delicious coconut yogurt, lots of garlic (the other 1/2 a head minced), a two inch piece of cucumber finely grated and salt and pepper. Then to finish it all off I grabbed a whole wheat wrap and piled it high with the No Cluck (and now garlicky) Cutlets, some of my tzatziki sauce, thinly sliced red onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and a big scoop of Kalamata olives and wrapped it all up. It was so delicious and quick! We had a side greek salad with similar veggies with a Greek vinaigrette from the store but it was disappointing. Ryan got lucky that I discovered how it wasn't a great salad dressing before he put it on his so he went with some of the tzatziki sauce instead.


All wrapped up but you can't really see all the goodness

There ya go! MMM!
Just a few more days left to enter to win a copy of Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day (two to be exact) as I will be drawing for a winner on September 2nd. Don't forget to visit this post (http://threeandahalfvegans.blogspot.ca/2012/08/food-network-monthly-cookalong-theme.html) and leave a comment (it's that easy!) for your chance. Also, if you participated in this month's cookalong don't forget to send me a link so I can include you in this month's wrap up as well as get a bonus entry for each blog post in the draw to win a copy of the book!

1 comment:

  1. These are all so creative, Kelly! I love seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete