Thursday, December 1, 2011

Food Network Friday: Bacon Corn Muffins with Savoury Cream Cheese Frosting



This Food Network Friday totally snuck up on me! The break through MoFo might be to blame but once I saw it, I was in! Now usually I do all kinds of crazy impersonations for these Food Network Friday posts but this time I got nothing...sorry! I don't think I've ever seen an episode of What Would Brian Boitano Make? and I'm not sure it airs up here in Canada to be honest. I did try my best to find some clips or something but YouTube failed me big time and only had a few small clips that didn't really give me the feel of the show. Next time, I promise!

The recipe this time was Bacon Corn Muffins with Savoury Cream Cheese Frosting and I will admit to being turned off by the idea of savoury frosting right off the bat. I think it was that it was called frosting more than anything to be honest...ah semantics! Anyways, I dove in head first and went for this one despite my hang ups. I have been trying a gluten free thing for the past week and a bit too so I made them as gluten free as I know how to. I have very little experience with gluten free baking but I really wanted to take part so I put my thinking cap on. The recipe uses a mix of cornmeal and all purpose flour so I decided to use corn flour in place of the all purpose. I added a bit of potato flakes and xantham gum as well for good measure since I've heard good things about both in gluten free baking. These muffins have bacon in them and on top for garnish and I decided to go with crumbled tempeh bacon since it is my new favourite thing (thanks to Tami and Celine's upcoming sandwich cookbook, Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day!) and it really did do the trick. The muffins came out pretty good and held up well too. They were slightly acidic but I think that was my fault since I added some apple cider vinegar to my soy milk. I would skip that next time. The frosting was a mix of Tofutti Cream Cheese, Tabasco, minced chives and agave nectar and I wasn't a big fan. It was better on the muffins but still wasn't my thing. I would prefer the muffin straight up and maybe mix the chives into the muffin itself next time. But I will say that they looked pretty impressive with the frosting, tempeh bacon and chives all garnishing the tops.



No recipe this time sorry! I was throwing in dashes of this and pinches of that and totally forgot to write it all down. I can tell you that I subbed the egg in the recipe with 1/4 cup of Tofutti Sour Cream, I used 4 tbsp of olive oil instead of melted butter and bacon fat, I used 2 tbsp potato flakes and 1/2 tsp xantham gum, I subbed the corn flour for the all purpose in equal measure and I added a 1/4 cup of tempeh bacon crumbles to the mix. Anything else in the recipe I used the measurements specified and followed the instructions/temperatures as well.


Check out Tami's blog to see what everyone else did with this recipe and sneak a peek at some of the sandwiches from Tami and Celine's sandwich book since Tami just posted some sneak peek pictures yesterday! And just to note...I tried all three of the sandwiches pictured and they were all fricken fantastic! Also, check out their newest venture, Vegan Muffins on the Move if you love muffins and really, who doesn't?!?

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, fantastic job! It's no candy land, but you tackled a lot making it gluten free! Go, Kelly! And thanks so much for all your support. It means a lot. <3

    ReplyDelete