Sunday, October 2, 2011

My First Serious Post




October 2nd is World Farm Animals Day in celebration of Mahatma Gandhi's birthday. It was started back in 1983 by FARM (Farm Animals Right Movement) and continues now with participants all over the US and over 2 dozen countries in the world. They hope to expose the suffering involved in the food business on all sentient beings and hopefully inspire change. Their website is http://www.wfad.org/index.htm if you would like more information. Other sites that you can check out if you are interested in learning more about the short life of farmed animals are Mercy for Animals, Compassion Over Killing and Farm Sanctuary's websites. They are all working tirelessly to change this world for both us and the animals. I'd like to share a few quotes from Gandhi on his birthday that really resonate with me.


"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."


"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."


"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching."

I could go on and on and quote him all day but what I choose to do is practice instead of preach. Sometimes it feels like it's not enough but then I realize I made a difference in my life, my husband's life, my son's life just by living the way I do not by going on and on with facts and figures. Those figures do matter but I really believe living it is the best example I can set.


Thank you so much to Farm Sanctuary who gave me their blessing to use the photographs to show some truly beautiful beings that have been spared. Every time I feel like it's not enough or even just feeling a little blue I go onto their Facebook page or website and look at these beautiful photographs and read their stories about how they faced some of the worse things humanity has to offer and have still found love in their hearts to share with the brave, compassionate people that are working to help them and all the other animals out there.

2 comments:

  1. duuuude. I cried a little. the goats! the piggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all...I really tried to pick a favourite and I can't...though piggies have a special place in my heart and that little one leaping makes my heart warm!

    ReplyDelete