Monday, October 24, 2011

My First Pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky


I was so happy this morning to find my copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. I had been patiently awaiting it's arrival since I heard about it, then pre-ordered it and even more so since the email saying it had been shipped.

I immediately flipped through to see all the delights it held and as I flipped one page honestly just stopped and stared me in the face. The book was picking a pie for me and it seems this book totally has my number! It stopped on Curried Macaroon Pie and I was like..."HECK YA!". I love the combination of curry and coconut and couldn't wait to take a bite of this pie. I quickly went through the ingredients and thanked the pie gods that I had everything I needed on hand. One quick substitution was made in the gingersnap crust, Speculoos cookies! I had found a few packages last weekend and hadn't really done anything with them yet other than eat them (which is an excellent application for these cookies I might add) and I thought they would work perfectly as a sub for gingersnaps.

I grabbed my springform and went to work and in about an hour I was pulling the most delicious looking pie out of the oven. The smell while the caramel cooked was enough to drive me a bit mad and when I had licked the bowl after scraping most of the filling into the pan, I knew it was going to be good but once I saw those slightly caramelized coconutty edges and smelled the faint hint of curry powder I knew it was love. I patiently waited for a bit for it to cool and as soon as I thought it was okay, I sliced into that pie and served myself a little slice. Don't tell, it was before supper! It is so incredible! It is sweet and spicy but not too much, the curry powder blends so perfectly with the sweet caramelized coconut and the edges are seriously the most addictive thing ever. The Speculoos crust works perfectly with it as well and I now think all crusts should be made with them, always! What is in those cookies?!? As I took my first bite of it, Ryan came in the room and just looked in my direction (and my pie's direction) and I just said "no, it's all mine". I'm joking of course...maybe...I'll let him have a slice or two I guess! This is definitely a great first impression from this cookbook and I am definitely going to try out a lot more...don't worry Banoffee Pie, I hear you calling me!

Don't let it fool you...it's a complex tasting pie with a simple look
This is the bite you will fight someone for...trust me!









1 comment:

  1. I just heard of this pie today on the mofo headquarters site. I want it!! Patiently awaiting being able to purchase the book.

    ReplyDelete