Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My First Korean BBQ and Kimchi




I have been intrigued by the idea of Korean BBQ and kimchi for awhile but had no idea how to make it. I had never had it and wasn't really sure what it ever tasted like but I liked the sound of it. BBQ is definitely not off limits to vegans, we love a good BBQ as much as the next, we just choose a different vehicle for our sauce. Now I'm sure it would have tasted much better had I gone out to grill it on the BBQ but the weather has gotten a bit cold here for that so I did the best I could inside on my cast iron pan on this one. The recipe was another test for Terry Hope Romero's newest book with a quick made kimchi (also a test recipe for Terry).

I will be honest and tell you I was scared to try the kimchi. Just washing out the food processor after making the red pepper paste made me choke up a little so I figured it was going to be hot and I can be a bit chicken when it comes to heat. It was hot too...but in that flavourful, good way not the burn your face off for no reason way. Mixing the kimchi with the Korean BBQ definitely made a magical pair too. Both were good but together they were delicious! I served it up and as suggested we ate them as a lettuce wrap. It was crunchy, salty, sweet, sour, spicy, complex and scrumptious (that's a taste bud I think...or maybe that's umami). It was everything I thought it would be and then more. I did a mix of tempeh and tofu and a few cloves of garlic too which really added a little oomph! Ryan and I both inhaled enjoyed this one and I will definitely be doing this again someday soon. It came together much quicker than I thought it would and the
flavours it delivered were worth every minute!






My BBQ is ready for it's close up

"Mommy, take my picture too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment