Monday, October 3, 2011

My First Deep Fried Avocado Tacos



I would have honestly never even thought to try battering and frying a wedge of avocado if it weren't for Seabirds vegan food truck but once I heard about it, I couldn't stop thinking about it (maybe even a few dreams about it). I desperately wanted to know what it would taste like but I am about as far away from California as I could get (slight exaggeration but it feels like it in December, trust me!) so I knew my only hopes of getting one of these bad boys in my belly was to do it myself. Then along came a test recipe for Carla Kelly's newest project (more details on this one when I can) that just seemed to call out for me to do it! Carla's recipe was a battered tofu (pictures and post about those another day!) that was amazing and will definitely get made again. I broke out my deep fryer for the tofu and figured while I had it out I would make some chips to go with it. I don't take it out often so I thought I would try the avocado out as well if there was leftover batter. Well there was leftover batter but at suppertime I was in too much of a hurry to eat hot tofu and chips so I kinda bailed on the idea. About an hour later after our company had left and the kid was in bed sleeping, I heard the deep fryer calling my name...it was taunting me for not even trying and I couldn't let it talk smack like that so I headed back down there, fired up the deep fryer and sliced up a firm yet ripe avocado. I dipped it in the batter and fried until golden and when they came out I placed them on a paper towel to get some of the oil off, then sprinkled with a bit of salt. I busted out some tortillas, browned them a bit in a pan, added some salad I had made in the fridge, a few slices of tomato and a little drizzle of tomatillo salsa and a squeeze of lime juice. They are seriously heavenly! There is an initial crunch of the batter followed by a creamy bite of avocado. They didn't go to mush or anything. I had always wondered what it would taste like and now I know...delicious! There isn't really a comparison that I could draw, it just tastes amazing and unique (in the best possible way). I made one for me and one for Ryan and we had a little taco party in the kitchen. I convinced my mom to come up and take a bite, though she was pretty skeptical, but she did like it! I will definitely try these again some time and can see why Seabirds has such a following!

7 comments:

  1. Love love love those decadent fried avocados. This looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN - my waistline has just cried tears of despair! But my tummy is crying tears of happiness. I'm gonna bookmark this for later for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, these look delicious! Definitely something to try at the weekend!
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think of is "Omnomnomnom" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe & I are OBSESSED with the Seabirds truck-so delicious!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds so good it should be banned. I'm going to have to do it.

    ReplyDelete